Leadership & Management
Managers are often promoted due to their quality of work and not necessarily due to their ability to manage and motivate staff - and then left alone to discover how to manage an often challenging group of people. As management skills are generally learnt through trial and error, this challenging “teething period” can lead to lower productivity, costly mistakes and the loss of valuable staff. This Key Management Skills for Effective Managers course is a valuable introduction to managing people and will cover the 10 areas any manager needs to address to become more effective in their position. It will help you to improve your leadership style, motivate your staff, handle conflict smoothly, delegate tasks effectively, discipline poor performance and improve the performance of your team.
- Getting to grips with all the tasks of being a manager.
- Examining different management styles needed for many different situations.
- Understanding leading vs managing people.
- Knowing how to motivate a team of people effectively.
- Developing and growing your people.
- Handling conflicts and personality clashes fittingly.
- Mastering delegation and control.
- Delivering discipline and criticism in a way that will build a successful team.
- Optimising the time you spend on managing people.
- Conducting performance reviews that enhance your team and motivates them to perform.
Emotional intelligence (EQ) in a manager is the ability to manage your own emotions, and recognise the emotional needs of your team and manage them accordingly. Emotionally intelligent managers are able to deal with difficult employees, a demanding boss, rapid changes in the workplace and unexpected problems while keeping a level head and a self-confident attitude. This intensive 2 day course will equip all who attend with surprisingly simple, yet effective ways to deal competently with current and future issues in the workplace. You will discover your current level of EQ, and receive techniques for managing staff in an EQ astute manner. Once mastered, EQ will help you to choose your battles wisely, behave assertively and confront sticky situations with confidence.
- Defining and understanding EQ, emotional competence and their impact on leadership and motivation.
- Discovering the 6 cornerstones of emotional competence and how to use this framework to assess your own emotional intelligence.
- Using EQ to communicate intelligently and assertively.
- Building intelligent relationships – using EQ for managing conflict, team performance and managing generation or culture gaps.
- Gaining practical ways to use EQ to motivate and drive a team or an organisation’s performance.
- Becoming the champion driving the development of an emotionally intelligent organisation.
Leadership is an entire set of new skills if you’ve worked your way up in the organization. You may be new at this role or you may need some development in this role. This workshop identifies your personal leadership and effectiveness. You will learn leadership strategies to help you adapt to the situation decreasing your stress level and increasing productivity.
- Identify the characteristics, behaviours and skills of an effective leader
- Demonstrate three leadership styles
- Demonstrate the delegation process
- Identify types of power in an organization and know when to apply the appropriate type
- Demonstrate principle based negotiation techniques
- Develop an action plan for leadership
Leaders will come away from the workshop understanding reactions to change, characteristics of change, organizational barriers to change, psychological needs and the need for control. Leaders will learn why change is essential, find the hidden opportunities change presents, increase their skill set and develop strategies for responding to change.
- Identify the difference between change and transition
- Identify the reasons for resistance to change
- Identify what is required to overcome resistance to change
- List the characteristics of trust
- Identify the seven techniques for leading change through creativity
Our workplaces demand accountability and performance. Successful leaders demonstrate coaching and empowerment skills. Through effective human relations, leaders become more approachable, reduce tendencies to dominate and increase tolerance for differing points of view.
- Identify and use the steps in the coaching process
- Identify the elements of successful coaching
- Identify strategies for improving relationships with team members and colleagues
- Describe specific actions which a leader can take to empower their work group
- Identify strategies to address barriers to empowerment